Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Little ups and downs

I knew before I left that this trip would not be the same as others, because 5 months is enough time for normality to balance out the constant excitement of everything being new and unfamiliar. Just over a month seems to have been long enough to start experiencing life as it would flow at me anywhere else on the planet-- with its waves rolling up and down, still wonderful, but not without turbulence.


- Playing fútbol is wonderful, but it's out of character for me to willingly put myself in a situation where I am so easily recognized as below average. Maybe often being the one who doesn't quite "get it" on a conversational level for the last month has helped me get over myself a bit. I still get self-conscious and retreat to trying to laugh it up.
I really need to start liking high fives.

- It's harder to call someone out if I'm offended. I either get nervous that I just misunderstood a language subtlety or that I won't be as effective as I could be with my own words. Because of this I've allowed people I consider friends to objectify me and others in the last couple weeks. It's simple things like demonstrating respect for female-bodied people and for queer folks. I'm afraid that if I let one more thing slide I'l grow to really dislike a few of the people I'm spending time with. But I also have to remember that might be okay too.
Making friendships go deeper is definitely harder with cultural and language barriers. But I still really really enjoy the process 95% of the time, and I do think it will all be worth it.

- I still procrastinate.
But I've gotten much better at not using facebook to do so.

- I still think dancing is a valid excuse to not be doing almost anything and, hence, spend hours and hours with all my furniture pushed to one side of the room. I wish I was in a dance group or class here. I'll keep trying.

- This week we can pick up a card from the university that allows us to ride the combis for half price. Paying 18 cents to ride the (independently-owned) buses seems like an unnecessary discount for me.

- Fer told me yesterday that my Spanish has improved a lot.
It meant THE WORLD to me...
and I'm still floating :o)


- And that's my bedroom, with the windows and doors leading out to the balcony.
I'm really thankful for our balcony.



1 comment: